click map Home Tutorials About FAQ

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Appliqued Baby Onesies


A friend had a baby shower last weekend and I was so excited to make something for her and her little boy! I decided to do a set of embroidered baby onesides along with a combination changing pad and diaper pouch.

I found this great set of onesies at Old Navy just a couple weeks ago. They were available in blues, pinks and neutrals. I liked that they had a little bit of a design and contrasting piping around the edges without having so much going on that they'd distract from my applique. The fabric is from the Dwell Studio line at JoAnns and is a heavier home decor weight.


Check out my other post on how to make an applique if you need some guidance.

Basically I followed those instructions and then finished off the design by stitching around each image. I couldn't decide on a straight stitch or a zig zag and actually ended up doing both. For some of the trickier turns I had to turn the sewing maching wheel by hand or go very slowly. I also had to put the needle down and raise the foot to turn the fabric around quite a bit. If you click on the photo below you can see a larger version of it where you can see the stitches better.


And they're ready for the baby shower. Now they just need a chubby little baby in them!


And if you need more ideas, you can find my instructions for a matching diaper pouch and changing pad here!