click map Home Tutorials About FAQ

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Buttercup Bag + Wallet and Flower


Our church is having a silent auction soon so I made this purse, wallet and optional flower for my contribution. The purse is the "Buttercup Bag" sewing pattern that you can get (free!) at the Made by Rae site. If you haven't found Rae's site yet, it's amazing and you should go take a look around! The bag has a magnetic closure and a pocket inside and little pleats around the outside. I'd recommend either using a heavier weight fabric or some fusible fleece between the layers to give it a little weight.



The wallet and flower were both things I made up as I went along. For the flower, I used fusible web and ironed together some of the blue and brown fabrics. Then I cut out five 1" squares. Then (like origami) I folded the sides in so they met in the middle. I did that to all five squares and ironed them flat. Then I cut out a 1" circle, stacked everything up and hand stitched it all together with a button in the center. I put a safety pin on the back so the user could put it on the strap, the purse, or choose not to use it at all.




For the wallet, I measured out two strips of fabric 5 1/2" wide by 9 1/2" long. Then on one side, I cut the last 2" of the length into a triangle. Next I put right sides together and stitched all around the wallet, leaving an opening at the bottom and using a 1/4" seam allowance.


Then snip the corners and turn it right side out and iron it flat.


Stich along the open edge to close it up. Then fold over the bottom to make a pocket and stitch down the sides.


To finish it off I stitched a decorative button to the flap and put a snap underneath which you can see in the second photo from the top of the post.